System Design Engineer - Solar Inverters
Area: Fort Collins, CO
My client is seeking an experienced Engineer, ideally with a mix of electrical, mechanical, and software background and experience to:
- Identify, analyze, define and coordinate user, customer and stakeholder needs and translates them into technical requirements.
- Work with stakeholders to define constraints and develop documentation.
- Design and coordinate large and complex projects, and work at various levels in the design and coordination of these systems.
- Provide conceptual design, prototype, and test cycles for a technical solution.
- Identify and manage dependencies on other systems and elements of the product structure.
- Record lessons learned, processes and procedures, and other pertinent documentation.
- Develop and implement test plans for commercial off-the-shelf and customer developed systems.
- Ensure all product and administrative documentation is complete and maintained to ensure continuity and historical reference.
- Ensure deliverable meet all relevant quality and security standards.
This position would work on solar inverters in the 250Kw to 1MW power ranges. As such, the position would require strong knowledge of switch-mode DC/AC inverters, high power electronics, controls, and magnetics, as well as strong teamwork and collaboration skills and experience.
- Coordinate system development tasks to include design, integration and formal testing at the product and customer interfacing levels.
- Responsible for coordinating the work of many engineers and specialists, each of whom is an expert in one part of a system.
- Oversee product development programs and their transition from engineering into production status.
- Develop and complete actions in system specifications, technical and logistical requirements and other disciplines.
- Create and maintain programmatic and technical documentation to insure efficient planning and execution.
- Manage and document system configurations.
- Product definition. Using marketing inputs, define the product and create requirement specifications. Perform system architecture tradeoffs for hardware, software, and firmware partitioning to best optimize the product. Specification and selection of subsystems and components.
- System integration and test. Hands-on integration of all aspects of product development. Subsystem verification, integration of subsystems into system, system start-up, hardware/software/firmware integration, and system design verification and characterization.
- Derivative platform definition and development. Define changes to existing platforms to meet specific customer requirements.
- Cost reduction. Direct cost reduction investigations, programs and product releases into manufacturing results Technical customer support. Provide detailed customer support including technical proposals and answers to customer inquiries.
- Design for cost, performance, reliability, and high volume manufacturing.
- Design documentation. Create specifications, system tradeoffs, schematics, characterization reports.
Works in a standard office environment, utilizing standard office equipment, and a noisy fast-paced lab.
- Works well individually or in a group setting.
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
- Successfully presents technical information.
- Superior organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in the area of electronic circuit design and development.
- Skilled in the use of electronic design automation software, Altium experience strongly preferred.
- Software development background, familiar with all aspects of the software development life cycle preferred.
- Experience with TI DSP firmware development preferred.
- Experience developing embedded firmware in C/C++ preferred.
- Experience developing LabVIEW; experience in NI Teststand preferred.
- Experience developing power converter or motor control firmware preferred.
- Ability to exercise judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Proven ability to utilize previous experience in engineering practices/procedures, industry/customer practices in all work.
- Ability to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, and provide guidance to other personnel.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems independently.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to effectively train, coach, direct, assess and mentor team members.
- Good experience with influencing and negotiating in complex situations.
- High power, high voltage, inverter design experience (greater than 200kW), including controls, snubbing and thermal management preferred.
- Familiarity with the engineering verification test methods required to test high power, high voltage inverters required.
- Familiarity with high power interconnection best practices and reliability, required.
- Familiarity with high power product compliance requirements pertaining to safety, immunity and emissions preferred.
- Familiarity with three phase utility systems. Including best practices, fault tolerance and control, preferred.
- Five to ten years of engineering experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Science or similar.
- Graduate coursework towards an advanced degree in engineering or science desirable, but not required
Send your resume to:
Leading Recruiters in the High-Tech and Green Energy sectors.
To search other exciting opportunities, visit our website:
Subscribe to the monthly Redfish industry newsletter:
Do you know someone who would be a great fit for this opportunity?
Ask about our referral policy.