Responsible to:Systems Engineering Manager
Responsible for: No current management responsibilities for staff.
Background of post
The departments deal with the design and costing of umbilical cable solutions that meet
customer requirements. This includes all umbilical and terminations for products supplied
by our client. The post may be primarily in the Systems Design or Contracts Design
sections. The design engineer is expected to support work in both teams as required to
achieve design output.
Systems Design – The objective of this team is to provide accurate technical
solutions and advice to internal sales personnel with practical and sound cable and
systems design. The work is focused towards bids for new projects, but must also take
account of standard components and design principles.
Contracts Design – The objective of this team is to provide detailed and accurate
design engineering services for new orders. Input is received from Sales, Systems Design
and the Project Manager and the output is generated for the Purchasing, Project Management
and Production teams.
Main duties of the job:
1) Design cable and termination solutions that meet customer requirements, and relevant
national and international standards.
2) Write internal umbilical production and termination design specifications.
3) Operate CAD package and design software.
4) Verify customer design input.
5) Answer customer technical queries.
6) Provide technical support for the sales, purchasing and production departments.
7) Complete internal Non Conformance and Concession/ Deviation Reports.
8) Operate the cable and termination costing software tools – using Visual as much
9) Contact material suppliers for material suitability and price and delivery
10) Ensure a high level of accuracy is present in all design output. Checking of
individual produced work is to be made by the Design Engineer. Checking and Approval,
subject to competence, is also expected as part of the Design Engineers daily
11) In addition to these duties employees are required to carry out such other duties as
may reasonably be required.
Characteristics of the job:
¨ Checking, accuracy and attention to detail
¨ Time management
Knowledge and skills required (minimum)
¨ Basic electrical theory
¨ Basic mechanical theory
¨ Basic trigonometric theory
¨ Teamworking, organisation, communication, attention to detail
To comply with all Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental standards and procedures
established by the company’s policies and in accordance with the requirements of
relevant legislation and any regulatory bodies at all times. To have read, understood and
comply with the company Health and Safety manual, policies and procedures and to implement
these, at all times, to ensure both your own safety and the safety of those who may be
affected by your actions or omissions.
Degree in an engineering subject, or relevant experience gained in an engineering