Green Door Recruitment www.gd-rec.com firstname.lastname@example.org 0845 337 2773
Geotechnical Engineer – Renewables, Wind Turbines (based in Slough, Berkshire or London)
Location: , Outside US (United Kingdom)
Employment Type: Full Time (Experienced)
Job ID: 9708
Geotechnical Engineer – Renewables, Wind Turbines (based in Slough, Berkshire or
London), ref 1107-20
Reports to: Head of Renewables Consultancy
1. Key Purpose of the role
To act as a Geotechnical Engineer to multi-disciplinary offshore wind farm projects. The
successful candidate will principally provide geotechnical and civil expertise to carry
out and assist with soil mechanics analysis, design of geotechnical works, preparation of
specifications and contracts, contract supervision and administration, and provision of
technical support to project teams.
The successful candidate could be a civil engineer who has strong experience in designing
and constructing offshore wind farm projects.
2. Principal Accountabilities
The Geotechnical Engineer will either manage packages of work or provide technical
assistance to other package / project managers.
The key responsibilities of this role are to:
• Provide Geotechnical/Civil expertise to the Renewables Consultancy Team.
• Provide support to FEED / detailed design work.
• Manage offshore site investigations.
• Prepare technical reports, specifications and contracts.
• Review and comment on technical reports, specifications and contracts prepared by
• Advise clients on best practice / methodology.
• Maintaining and developing the technical quality of all geotechnical work.
• Report progress at regular project Team Meetings.
• Draft the technical aspects of Invitation to Tender documentation and contracts.
• Lead contract negotiations.
• Prepare technical proposals.
• Accept short term offshore working when required.
• Present to clients.
• Manage other members of the team and assist in developing their knowledge.
• Assist with business development activities and building important client
relationships to secure follow on work from project work.
3. Facts and figures
The Renewables team currently comprises 20 people who work within the office. This team is
part of an overall renewables team of 750 people working within company of which
approximately 100 work in the offshore sector on engineering, due diligence and project
management work. This focused team has full access to the technical support staff employed
by this world leading offshore group.
Size of Projects:
Highly variable. The offshore group performs studies from £10K to £750K and is
involved in project management projects with a Capital Expenditure in excess of
£1,000M and where the value of services to the client can be in excess of
4. Essential knowledge, skills and experience
• BEng or higher in Civil Engineering.
• Chartered MICE or equivalent.
• Previous experience of preparing, reviewing and submitting technical documents.
• Excellent report writing skills.
• Previous experience of supervising and leading multi-disciplinary project teams.
• Experience in the offshore wind sector.
• Substantial experience of major civil or infrastructure projects
• Ability to prioritise work.
• Working to deadlines and to timescales.
• High level of communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability
to negotiate contracts.
• Ability to deliver effective presentations.
• Previous experience of supervising and overseeing offshore site investigations and
• Experience of working in the offshore environment.
• Registered Ground Engineering Professional or higher
• Foreign language skills, particularly German.
5. Key internal and external contacts (and frequency/method of contact)