#18252 Senior Director Engineering - Solar
Area: Portland Area, OR
My client is known worldwide for its unique one-of-a-kind electronic products and solutions. They are tirelessly dedicated to improving people's lives through the use of advanced technology and a commitment to innovation, quality, value, and design. Specifically, their Solar team produces world-class products and technology and is a global leader in solar cell production.
The Senior Director Engineering (SD) is responsible for all product-related and project-related technical elements required to support sales as well as ensuring that market-driven, compelling, competitive products and services are being developed. Specifically, the SD portfolio includes system design, technology-based procurement, system performance forecasting, preliminary utility-scale system design, technical oversight of project execution, product management, product development, applications engineering, and training. The SD contributes to business development, satisfying demand for technical due diligence while articulating and demonstrating the technical value proposition for components and solutions. The SD prepares and manages the engineering strategy, goals, budget, and builds/leads the high-performance engineering organization. The SD is a member of the executive team and contributes to overall corporate strategy and positioning.
- The responsibilities and authorities stated herein are subject to established policies.
- Ensure the successful completion of internally and externally generated project designs as developed by engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) collaborators
- Ensure designs meet Company’s quality standards, applicable code standards, and financial objectives
- Provide technical requirements for solutions development including pre-contract development in terms of design, modeling, costing, supply chain, and negotiation contracts (technical and warranty aspects)
- Lead the engineering management staff: residential, commercial and utility scale product engineering team members and project engineering team members including setting individuals’ goals, performance reviews
- Guide engineering goals, budgets, strategies, and plans, as well as, team design/development and related business processes
- Support post-contract stage of delivered solutions through technical QA, commissioning design and oversight, asset management and warranty support
- Interface with prospects in a pre-transaction role related to delivered solutions development
- Serve as the technical liaison with independent engineers/owner’s engineers (IE/OE) for due diligence for projects and components
- Oversee product development - approach, priorities and sequencing of the individual product development efforts; incorporate and memorialize the use of a stage-gate framework to address needs assessment (internal and voice of the customer (VOC)), benchmarking, product planning, road-mapping and identification of the market requirements specifications
- Provides technical leadership for procurement including alternative module supply (leads Original Equipment Manufacturing (OEM) business and product qualification), cells, modules, racking, and inverters
- Day to day technical support for business development, sales, and general customer inquiries
- Product management including creation of specifications, product reviews, technical support for procurement of in-house products and OEM products, compliance (certifications and listings)
- Defines scopes of work, identify third party resources, negotiate, close and oversee contracts with third parties for engineering, equipment and services.
- Advise buying decisions for projects, products, and services
- Maintain acute sense of potential legal exposure
- Provide Applications Engineering with residential, commercial, and utility scale Tech Support
- Train staff, resellers, and retailers
- Speak on behalf of company at conferences
- Directly reports to the Senior Vice President
- Significant interactions with senior leadership team, as well as customers, stakeholders, end users, colleagues including Japan, SMCA, and Mahwah
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required, MBA highly desired
- 10+ years related solar experience, including elements of each of the major segments served residential, commercial, and utility scale
- Minimum of 6 years as a team leader, including hiring, with demonstrated track record of leadership, coaching and administration of staff
- Professional project management experience desired
- Hands-on installation experience desired
- Experience in designing the business processes around product development and system engineering is essential
- Expertise in crystalline silicon and thin film products
- Expertise in new product development processes, especially stage-gate
- Ability to design systems is essential
- Experience with company modules a plus
- Extremely competent with communication, on a one-to-one basis or group setting
Leading Recruiters in the High-Tech and Green Energy sectors.
To search other exciting opportunities, visit our website:
Subscribe to the monthly Redfish industry newsletter:
Do you know someone who would be a great fit for this opportunity?
Ask about our referral policy.